Slip, Trip, And Fall Attorneys In New York
A slip and fall accident can occur anywhere, at any time. You could slip and fall on a wet floor in a grocery store or trip on a loose carpet in a friend's home. If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be wondering if you have a case. The first step is understanding the basics of New York premises liability law.
Under premises liability law, property owners are responsible for keeping their property safe for visitors, including indoor and outdoor spaces. If a property owner fails to live up to this duty and someone is injured; as a result, the property owner may be held liable in a premises liability lawsuit.
To win a premises liability lawsuit, the injured person must prove that the property owner was negligent. Negligence means the property owner failed to take reasonable steps to prevent the slip and fall accident.
For example, if a store owner knows there is water on the floor but does not put up a warning sign or take steps to clean it up, the store owner may be considered negligent.
Hire Us to Help Preserve Evidence in Your Slip and Fall Case
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, it is vital to act quickly to gather evidence. When hiring an experienced personal injury slip and fall lawyer, we will rush to ensure we collect all the evidence before it disappears. Call Su Caso today at 718-424-5560.
Proof of your fall is essential in proving liability and ensuring you are compensated for your injuries. Don't try to gather evidence yourself; you may tip off the property owner that you are considering legal action, and the evidence may disappear.
Obtaining surveillance footage and witness testimony can help establish what happened and who was at fault. Additionally, records of previous slips and falls on the same property and maintenance records can be used to show that the property owner was aware of the dangerous condition but did not take action to fix it.
What Should I Do Immediately After a Slip and Fall Accident Occurs?
Collecting as much evidence as possible is vital after being injured in a slip and fall accident. This will help your personal injury attorney build a strong case on your behalf. Here are some tips to follow when collecting evidence for a slip and fall lawsuit claim:
- Take photos of the scene of the accident, including any hazards that may have caused your fall.
- Get the contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident occur.
- Find out who the manager on duty is in a place of business.
- Keep a record of all medical treatment you have received for your injuries.
- Save any receipts for out-of-pocket expenses related to your injuries, such as prescription drugs or crutches.
- Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance company without consulting an attorney.
- Keep a journal detailing how your injuries have affected your daily life.
- Follow up with your doctor and keep all appointments.
- Do not accept any settlement offers from the insurance company without first speaking to an attorney.
Contact our slip and fall legal team if you or someone you know has suffered from a personal injury. We have years of experience handling slip and fall cases and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation at 718-424-5560.